It is official. I am a total geek.
|Sharon & Nick at The Church Restaurant, Dublin, in 2011. |
Photo credit: Peter McWilliams.
PS - Check out the Fish and Chips. Excellent.
- The NAME INDEX where memorials are indexed under the name of the lessor (the person who held title to the property), NOT the lessee. NOTE: There is no index of lessees.
- The TOWNLAND INDEX which is the more challenging of the two. Many of these books are stained, and the writing can be so cramped that it is a challenge to decode.
- Not everyone gets mentioned in memorials or deeds. Many people held leases that flew beneath the radar. Many did not have leases.
- Unless the person you are seeking was reasonably wealthy, odds are that they were the lessee, not the owner, so the likely landlord’s name is the name to start with.
- If you have the name of a wife, check her out. Often marriage agreements are under her father’s or brother’s names.
- Look at the end of the book. Sometimes entries are posted that did not fit under the letter they are supposed to be under.
- NOTE:You can order colour photocopies from the Registry of Deeds for €20 - either on-line or in person, as long as you have the reference number..