Sunday, September 1, 2013

Summers End



When I was a wee sprat in elementary school, we knew – we absolutely knew – that each September our first assignment would be to write an essay: What I did on my Summer Vacation. Since I may be approaching my 2nd childhood, I thought I’d best get a jump on it before Labour Day Weekend is come and gone. Herewith, the first installment.

July: Steve Hannamon and the Brown Bros in the Park.

This performance was in Pioneer Park, where the statue of George Gibsons always keeps a eye on us. Not that the older generation calls this space: Pioneer Park. The local kids starting calling it Needle Park after the 1971 movie The Panic in Needle Park with Al Pacino. I can’t say that I have ever heard that there was a huge heroin scene happening here, but had there been, a public washroom would have made it feel as if it could have.

On this Saturday. there were only two of the usual three Brown Bros: Bruce and Struan. They were joined by Steve Hannaman on vocals and guitar and John Bently, on percussion. Mike McMillan gave me permission to share his photos.

Graham Walker did a great job on sound. Each instrument came through cleanly, with warmth, and at the same time the volume was loud enough to make people feel like moving to the beat, but not so loud that my aging ear drums complained. Even babies were grooving to it.

As many of you know, I am always required to have Kinga in my pocket when she is unable to attend such events. This is some of what she saw when she was peeking out of said pocket. Oh, and she also really enjoyed the gelato ice-cream that I bought for us. It was called Seven Layers of Heaven. Aptly named. Mike’s Gelatto in Lower Gibsons is where you go to get one for yourself. It goes with the music. Enjoy.


Steve - a bundle of energy and talent - the chemistry between him and my brothers is always great. He is infectious - in a good way.


Struan - whose riffs were hot. Often the harmonica isn't heard, but the sound balance was perfect this day. A man sitting next to me said That guy is good. Is he your husband?.


Bruce who not only recalls more lyrics than should be remotely possible, and also writes his own songs which are also well worth the candle.

L-R Bruce, Struan, Steve - and hidden behind Steve is John on percussion.   

No comments:

Post a Comment